Enquire Now with FREE 15 Mins Call
You’re exhausted. You’ve been up all night (again) with a baby who just won’t sleep. You’re at your wit’s end, and you’re considering sleep training as a way to help everyone get some much-needed rest. But how do you know if you and your baby are ready for sleep training?
Here are a few basic questions to ask yourself before getting a baby sleep consultant.
- What does your schedule look like for the next few weeks? Any events, trips, etc. that might disrupt sleep training? It’s advisable to pick a time period for sleep training where everything in the schedule is consistent. This allows the baby to adapt quickly to the new system. Have you done enough research to figure out which sleep training method you are comfortable with and how to properly implement it? You can always Google words like “baby sleep in Singapore” to find out which method suits you and your family. If you face problems choosing, feel free to speak to a certified baby sleep consultant.
- Are you ready to fully commit the process and consistently follow a plan for 2 to 4 weeks? As mentioned in question one, if you have any plans, it’s best to arrange the training after that.
- Have you discussed sleep training with your partner? Is the whole family on board and willing to make this a success? Getting you and your partner on the same page is important to make things go smoother. If there are other family members staying together, communicate with them and get them to understand.
- Are you willing and able to make the changes necessary for sleep training? The changes won’t be big, but there will be some needed, such as observing your baby for sleeping clues (if you haven’t done it before), adjusting your baby’s sleep schedule, preparing your baby’s sleep space, and etc.
Let’s first talk about how to know whether your baby is ready for sleep training.
Number one, baby’s age. The recommended age for your baby to start is at 4-6 months, because at this age, they are old enough to start sleeping for longer stretches at a time, but young enough that they won’t be too resistant to changing their sleep habits.
Next, make sure that your baby is in good health. If your baby is sick or has any underlying health issues, please wait until they’re feeling better before starting sleep training.
You and Your Partner
Moving on, it is also important to make sure that daddy and mummy are ready for sleep training. Note this, getting your partner involved helps things to work better by providing support and encouragement to each other. Sleep training can be difficult, and there will likely be some setbacks along the way. However, if you are dedicated to seeing the process through, you and your baby will likely benefit from it in the end. After all, teamwork gets the dream work.
Seek Help from A Professional
It can be difficult to know when your baby is ready for sleep training. Even though we did mention a generally suitable age, still, every baby is different, and there is no magic number of weeks or months that indicates readiness. If you’re not sure whether sleep training is right for you and your family, talk to your pediatrician or a baby sleep specialist in Singapore. They can help you weigh the pros and cons of different sleep training methods and help you decide if sleep training is right for you. Nevertheless, a baby sleep consultant’s expertise and experience dealing with different types of situations will definitely be a big help.
Tips to Getting Started
If you’re wondering where and how to start, here are a few pro tips:
- Get all the basics right. As we talked about earlier, learn or read about sleep training, and find out the one that will work best for you and your family.
- Make a plan. Make sure there is a backup plan in case Plan A doesn’t work out.
- Establish your goals. Every family has different goals, remember to set realistic goals that you want for your family right from the beginning.
So, ready to start sleep training baby Singapore but not sure if you and your partner are ready? Don’t worry, I am here to help! A FREE 15 minute discovery call is the perfect way for us to get to know each other and see if my sleep coaching services are a good fit for your family. During this call, we’ll discuss your specific situation and give you some tips on how to get started. Hit the button below and book your slot now. I am always here, all ears!